Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Variety, please . . .

One way to ensure you are unfriended or unfollowed in the age of social networking is by being one dimensional. Status post driven sites, such as Twitter and Facebook, call for variety to keep your friends and followers entertained and reading. If one constantly sticks to a solitary subject, he or she is more than likely going to be overlooked or deleted.

If all your tweets are plugging your wares on Etsy and nothing else, I will unfollow you. Even the official Etsy and Artfire Twitter accounts aren't that boring. They interact with other tweeters (that's what the @ symbol is for tweeps!) If you are constantly spamming, yes it is spamming, me with giveaway tweets or the same fucking hash tag (#) over and over again; you no longer exist to me. If I see the same avatar more than 3 times in a row and they are not attempting to tell a story that can't be told in the 140 character allotment, I go straight for the unfollow button.

It is easier to get rid of an acquaintance on Twitter than a friend on Facebook. I have friends who "Jesus spam" me on Facebook, but I would feel bad to unfriend them over this petty annoyance. If I want to read the Bible, I'll pick it up on my own accord and read it. Quoting the Bible is fine in moderation, but please don't treat your wall like a pulpit. How are your wife and kids? How are things going at work? Those things are just as important as your faith and I'd much rather read about them than hear a sermon 7 times a day! Instead of unfriending these high school buddies, I just skip them when I see their pictures and move on.

Rant over.

Photobucket

No comments: