Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Shark Hoodie


I'm super stoked about this creation! I received a request in my House of Plush Etsy shop the other day from a customer who wanted a shark hoodie as a Halloween costume similar to the monster hoodie I currently have listed. At first, I wasn't going to take the order because of my lack of confidence in my abilities, especially when it came to making the fin. While mulling it over, I googled "shark hoodie" to kind of get an idea of how this thing was supposed to look and I found a tutorial for a children's shark hoodie by Martha Stewart. Her instructions on how to attach the fin made of "industrial felt" (which I had never heard of) did not help me in the least, but I found her templates for the eyes and fin to be quite useful (I referenced it while making the eyes and fin for this hoodie).  

After discussing it with the customer, I finally committed to making it, but let her know that if I encountered any problems with the fin; I'd let her know immediately so she could make other arrangements for Halloween.  I went shopping for supplies the following day and was thrilled to find the illusive industrial felt that Ms. Stewart had mentioned in her tutorial.  It was a different color grey than the hoodie, so I sewed regular charcoal colored felt on each side of the industrial felt to make sure the fin had a more uniform look when attached to the hoodie.


I wanted to find a way for the customer to be able to attach and remove the fin easily.  Velcro seemed to be the easiest answer, but would be really noticeable if the customer wasn't wearing the fin.  I opted for sew on metal snaps instead and they worked really well!

I shipped the shark hoodie off yesterday and I can't wait to hear back from my customer!  I've already gotten a lot of positive feedback on this project from friends and family.  I hope my customer is as thrilled with the results as I am!

If you'd like me to make you a custom shark, monster, or creature hoodie, feel free to contact me and we'll work it out!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Pili said...

That looks so cute! Glad that you decided to push yourself and make it!

lauren carney said...

hay dolly,
your fancy display of pretty pictures
makes my little tummy flutter.
love your blog to pieces.
I'll enjoy admiring it form afar! x

CK said...

This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!! I LOVE the idea! Its cute and clever without having to over-the-top for a halloween costume!
Awesome!
-CK from the Toucan Tribe!

Teresa Choplin @ tchoplin2009(at)gmail(dot)com said...

I love your blog. Thanks for sharing with me, glad to be here.
I'm here from the Blog Hop. I'm your newest follower, please follow me back. We have a Swimmin by Sunday Blog hop going please link up if you'd like.
http://www.nontypicalmom.com/

Jenn Erickson said...

I totally dig your style and absolutely love that shark hoodie!

Dustee said...

You're so awesome! and So is this Hoodie! :)