Sunday, March 15, 2009

Diamond Glaze vs. 3D Crystal Lacquer . . . Which is Better?

For several months, I have been a loyal user of Diamond Glaze. Diamond Glaze is a clear, nontoxic sealant most commonly used these days to create the glass-like finish on Scrabble Tile Pendants. 3D Crystal Lacquer is a similar product, which I only started using last night.

Well I can already tell you that even after just one craft session, I'm sold on 3D Crystal Lacquer. Although I was loyal to Diamond Glaze, it wasn't very loyal to me. When using Diamond Glaze, you often end up with unwanted bubbles. Sure, the bigger ones can be popped by moving them around with the tip of the Diamond Glaze bottle when the glaze is still wet, but the small ones are nearly impossible to remove. I had absolutely no bubbles when using 3D Crystal Lacquer.

Another big problem I had with Diamond Glaze was that my Scrabble Tiles would end up with huge cracks in the glaze after they had dried. I Googled this occurrence which was at first attributed to a defect in a specific batch of the glaze. Upon further research, I read that others had problems with cracked glaze even in unaffected batches. I had no cracking issues with the 3D Crystal Lacquer.

3D Crystal Lacquer dries a lot clearer and has an overall cleaner look to it. I am really impressed by 3D Crystal Lacquer and do not intend to ever use Diamond Glaze again. Lost Luggage Reviews conducted a more professional review of the two products back in 2007.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe I'm just daft but I could never get the Crystal Lacquer to turn out right for me.

Suzanne Moon said...

I agree completely with your blog entry! I had horrible problems with Diamond Glaze and lost about 1.3 of my batches of tiles due to bubbles or cracks and Crystal Lacquer is soooo much better! I love it.

Suzanne
suzannemoon.com
Blue Moon Designs