Sunday, March 15, 2009

I'm Old School! New Social Networking Confuses Me!

I remember a time when social networking was simple. It was called Myspace, and it was wonderful. I was truly addicted to it at one point, having to check it every chance I got to see if I had new comments or new messages. Now Myspace feels like a wasteland every time I log on, so I've pretty much stopped dropping in. All God's children are on a little site called Facebook now. Evil, maniacal Facebook. It is truly a stalker's paradise. Without someone adding you as a friend, or whatever the kids on there call it, he or she can see everyone else who's your friend. The friends that you have accepted become super intrusive, at least they did in my experience, by inviting you to undergo interviews, grow plants in cyber gardens, and join obscure groups. Then there's the WALL. I hate the wall because any of your friends can post any or all of your business on the wall and then all your other friends can see it. At least on Myspace you had the option of approving comments before the world saw them! Maybe Facebook has that option, but I haven't had the patience to find it. I always get freaked out when I check my e-mail and I get a message that so and so has "whatever they call it on Facebook when they invite you to be a friend." Sometimes I'll see a name from my past, cringe, and think, "oh no, they found me!" I never log on to Facebook because it makes me too nervous. It's too much like high school and I hate it! The only reason that I re-joined after canceling my account was because my friend, Teletha, asked me to. Thanks, Teletha!

The other new on-line craze, Twitter, kind of confuses me, but is a little more my speed and I'm slowly getting used to it. I don't like the idea of people "following me." I finally had to turn my e-mail notification off because I'd get weirded out when I'd get a message that bob45 was following me, not knowing who the hell bob45 was! Getting this message about 10 different people 10 times a day is a little scary. I like Twitter because you can plug yourself whenever you want (e.g. your blog, your Etsy store). Whether or not it works, who knows? I also like it because it meshes well with my ADHD. Posts are short, to the point, and about whatever is going on that particular moment. "My neighbors are incredibly loud." *5 seconds later* "I really enjoy eating cheese." I finally added a device (my Palm) to Twitter. Now I can tweet anytime I want to! Now my whopping 51 followers can see my rants more often. Aren't they lucky!

1 comment:

kiddomerriweather said...

Well today I officially cancelled my Myspace account. I needed a fresh start. It was my only link to one certain person and that link had to be broken for good.